Dr. Patrice Motsepe
The 43rd CAF General Assembly, meeting today, 12 March 2021 in Rabat, Morocco, elected Dr. Patrice Motsepe, as President of CAF.
Dr Motsepe, who becomes the seventh (7th) person to occupy the position of CAF President, begins his four-year term after being elected unopposed by the Member Associations of CAF, in Rabat.
Going to the General Assembly, Africa adopted a unity stance which saw other three candidates, namely Augustin Senghor, Ahmed Yahya and Jacques Anouma withdraw from the race to be President.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino, who was in attendance in Rabat in his remarks in the General Assembly commended the African Member Associates for the unity they have displayed in the last few weeks.
Dr. Motsepe, 59, is an accomplished South African businessman and philanthropist and no stranger to football. For almost two decades, he has been the President of a South African club, Mamelodi Sundowns.
Short Profile: Dr Patrice Motsepe
- Name: Dr. Patrice Tlhopane Motsepe
- Age: 59 (born: 28 January 1962)
- Nationality: South Africa
- Founder and Chairman of African Rainbow Minerals
- President of Mamelodi Sundowns Football Club (since 2003)
- Founder of African Rainbow Capital (2016)
- Founder of Motsepe Foundation (together with Dr. Precious Moloi-Motsepe): (1999)
- Bought low-producing gold mine shafts and turned them profitable (1997)
- Former partner at Bowman Gilfillan Law firm in Johannesburg (1994)
Background Information: CAF Presidents:
- Abdel Aziz Abdallah Salem (Egypt): 1957 – 1958
- Abdel Aziz Mostafa (Egypt): 1958 – 1968
- Abdel Halim Mohamed (Sudan): 1968 – 1972
- Ydnekatchew Tessema (Ethiopia): 1972 – 1987
- Abdel Halim Mohamed (Sudan): 1987 – 1988
- Issa Hayatou: (Cameroon): 1988 – 2017
- Ahmad Ahmad: (Madagascar: 2017 – 2021
- Patrice Motsepe: (South Africa) 2021 –